Monday, September 8, 2008

There's a Fine, Fine Line...

Last weekend, under geas from the Universe, I made a List of what I wanted to achieve in the "near future." Amoung them was a set of requirements for a Lover. Since this weekend, this song from Avenue Q has been stuck in my head:



There's a fine, fine line between a lover and a friend;

There's a fine, fine line between reality and pretend;

And you never know 'til you reach the top if it was worth the uphill climb.


There's a fine, fine line between love

And a waste of time.

...

You gotta go after the things you want while you're still in your prime...



I made a List many years ago which was in my thoughts heavily when I made this one. I made the list and presented it to the Universe back then. And the Universe dutifully complied. I met Steve. He was exactly what I wanted. Except. He wasn't gay-or rather, he didn't want to be. I hadn't included that on my List because I thought well, duh, of course I want a gay man. But that's not how the Universe works. So I amended my List and resubmitted it to the Universe. And I got Ron. Who was "very nearly correct." Ron was quite the whirlwind. And I'm more of a solid grounded kind of guy--at least I was then thank you very much. We were together for a fair amount of time but it didn't last. I went back to the List to
try to amend it again but couldn't think how.



So now, here I am, with a new List. Waiting to see what happens. I'm older now (by definition), in fact, I'll be 42 in a few weeks. I hope I've grown up and hopefully have good things to offer my new Lover (thanks Hyperion!) I believe I do. Based on my List, he will, too :)



I'm happy enough on my own, but there are times when I'd like to share stuff with another guy. My buddy Sam and I have that kind of relationship. And it's almost good enough :) If he'd just put out once in a while, he'd be perfect for this.
But his wife won't go for it :) And I learned --and am reminded every couple years when I re-read The Last Herald-Mage--
that just because I don't have a great "love" to warm my life, there's no reason not to enjoy the "lesser" loves of my close friends. I do love you my friends, each of you.



Now I find out that Avenue Q is coming to Denver soon. Guess I need to find a way to go. I can take subtle hints from the Universe when required...



And now the obligatory geek reference: "6 by 9? 42? I always knew there was something funadamentally wrong with the Universe."

No comments: